Sunday, September 19, 2010

HOW TO OBFUSCATE ON BALANCE BEAM.....

.....with Ksenia Afanasyeva.



I just realised one of the things I have never been able to put my finger on about Ksenia Afanasyeva's greatness. Clearly, I have been espousing her greatness for a very long time.  But I often wonder exactly why- especially considering I really don't like her floor routine.  In fact, I loathe the music, and although she has stunning body positions and very pretty arms, I think she dances as blank-facedly as Amelia Racea.  This makes me especially cross when a routine has so much potential. Sometimes she just looks like she is going through the motions, even when she is performing very well.
From her behaviour at competitions I get the feeling she is intensely shy outside of her gaggle of Russkie girly cohorts- although she seemed quite sweet at Pac Rims. Though charming, this reticence doesn't do much for her floor work.

But the other thing I realised about her today, is why she gets away with little mess ups on beam while still looking fabulous.  Her arms are sooo lovely, that often, even when she stuffs up a move from the waist down- everything above looks perfect.  You don't always see the balance checks at shoulder height.  That is quite a good skill to have.  It is quite amusing and...best of all, illusory!

EXHIBIT A


OR HERE

Also, what are the names of the two short-haired Russian lady coaches?  I know NOTHING NADA ZILCH about them, except they are always there, nearly always expressionless.  I don't know what they do, why they are there (as in specialty) and which is which!  This seems strange.  I should know this.

2 comments:

  1. The short haired coach in the video you posted above is Marina Nazarova, who is Afanasyeva and Semenova's personal coach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think one of them is Pavlova's mother and coach.

    ReplyDelete