Tuesday, August 3, 2010

ATTACK OF THE 8 FOOT GYMNAST.....!


Meet Maggie Germaine, a gymnast for Arizona State early in the 2000s.  In 2003 Maggie was ranked number two in the nation on floor at one point.  She was a strong member of what was a strong Arizona team that year.   In a meet against UCLA that year Maggie earned an all-around score that was Arizona's second highest ever.
In her career she scored nine perfect tens, six of which were given on her best event, floor.

Why is Maggie interesting?  Because she achieved all this while towering over her competitors.  If you thought Svetlana Khorkina was tall at 5'5", or Marie-Sophie Hindermann positively huge at 5'7", then Maggie Germaine was a giantess at her height of 5'8"!!

Unlike those elite gymnasts, Maggie was not strong on bars.  In fact, though she did nice routines, she laboured through her swings and had to significantly pike down to finish her double layout dismount.

 But on floor, especially at collegiate level- where she didn't have to do incredibly difficult tumbling required of elite gymnasts- she could really shine.  Despite having some very 'college' choreography, Maggie had some style on floor, and it is fun to watch someone so tall command the space.  It certainly gave her 'presence'.
This routine is an early one, but in 2004, she earned five tens in one year.  Unfortunately, I am yet to find a video of that routine, which I assume is different.


Or HERE

When she finished college Maggie continued as an assistant volunteer coach with the Arizona team, while working at other clubs in the area.  She also married her on-again-off-again college boyfriend Andre Ethier, who now plays pro baseball for the Los Angeles Dodgers.  They have a son together.



******

10 comments:

  1. Leah Brown, who competed for GA from 94-97 was also 5'8. She was like a 2 or 3 time NCAA VT champ and also a FX champ. She was the 1st to throw the layout front 1/2 VT. A tall girl can still hold her own in gymnastics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post! One of my girls is 5'3" and still growing. I'll pass this along to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure Maggie Germaine went to Arizona State, not Arizona. :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgive me, I am Aussie- i do not know the difference! But I am trusting you and changed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beyond anything else, since when did college gymnast other than UCLA get to wear such simple, pretty leos?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! My daughter is in love with gymnastics, but at seven years old and already 4'4" (with a nine inch foot), she is the tallest girl in her class, even next to the nine year olds. Although doctors can;t really know for sure, ours said 5'10" was not out of the question for her.

    Just because most of the gymnasts before these girls were tiny, someone had (has) to be first. May as well be my girl, if she decides she wants is enough. I'll definitely show this to her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I'm 5'8! That is so inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know! I love that leotard! It might be one of my favorites EVER! I was going to say something in the post and then forgot about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. West Va Mountaineers have two girls-- one's 5'8" and the other's 5'7" --who are both fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I think of "giant" gymnasts, Ashley Miles always comes to mind. The girl competed decent uneven bars as an elite, for goodness sake! She's definitely another NCAA success story, as well.

    ReplyDelete