Tuesday, June 1, 2010

WHERE I RANT ABOUT FORMINTE HATERS SOME....


I wish Nicolae Forminte hadn't acted so hastily. I understand he must have been submitted to some intense political pressure of late. It seems to me so many of his very vociferous and seemingly very new critics forget that Nicolae rebuilt this team from the rubble left by the two B's after they departed from running the Romanian gymnastics team all those years ago. I simply do not understand how their placing third behind Britain- which seemed to instigate the fresh round of criticism (his moment of foot-in-mouth disease notwithstanding- he deserved that)- grew into this maelstrom of hate and disgust. It is ridiculous.

The media seems to be saying that he didn't have to resign- we will never know if that is the truth or wether he was forced out. Still, if he could have held on I wish that he would have stayed. Anyone, I mean anyone who has been witness to how he behaves with his girls during competitions must know that at heart he is a kind man whose concern rests with the well-being of his gymnasts.



I don't really know what the reaction has been like. I posted the news last night while the USA was asleep, went to bed and have been working all day. Perhaps now, people are sad, now that it has actually happened. I don't care. I will always defend Forminte if it needs doing or not.

Don't get me wrong. I do not by any means think the guy's a saint. The Beth Tweddle speech thing was the stupidest thing I have ever heard a coach say, and he whined way too much to the media to cover his butt. But I like him, and above all, I respect what he has achieved.




I feel the same about the injury talk. Yes, Romania has an injury problem. Dragoi and Tamirjan and Izbasa have all been injured since Beijing. Tyhere are more since.
What about Peszek, Memmel and Asac's injuries which affected them at and after Beijing? What about Hong injured since?  And that's only the Olympic alumni.
What about Yang Yilin? Cheng Fei? Jiang Yuyuan? None of them has been all that healthy since Beijing. Afanasyeva? Semenova? Trouble is, these countries are so deep, there is always someone else to replace, to distract us from the loss.

The trouble with injured Romanian gymnasts is that they are so visible. And all the people complaining about Ana Porgras being worn into the ground. For craps sake, look at her. Come on. I mean really, look at her. She is exquisite, but she is completely and utterly breakable.



What makes me most sick is the self-satisfied few who- when it looks like Belu and Bitang, or whoever else is silly enough to bear the burden of the Romanian gymnastics legacy - seem to have improved the state of Romanian gymnastics these haters will forget that they have done it off the back of someone elses efforts.

I won't forget.

I sincerely hope things do improve for Romania, I do. I just hope whoever takes charge cares about who they are in charge of and not just what seems like the entire ( I know it's not) of the Romanian country's rabid need for RESULTS above anything else.



******

9 comments:

  1. I think it's less the number of injuries or the fact that the injured are more visible, but the fact that at least 90 percent of the Romanian team are injured right now. Or, well, has intestinal parasites--but we can't really blame that one on Forminte, now can we? Anyway, that's the reason people get so bent out of shape about Forminte's injury record. I've never heard of almost an entire national team being injured before. Of course, that really doesn't tell us who is at fault, if anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BRAVO! is clear that you love Forminte!But clearly you're not Romanian!is clear that you dont care that Romania falls one step every competition!is clear that you do not understand that Romanians want something else.Clearly does not understand that for these girls is very important to end their career with medals, not demoralized by Forminte, who say they are fat, old and that they are unable for more than a bronze.But bravo, literally speaking your article is very good....................

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Couch Gymnast!! This is such an honest and true post and I completely agree with everything you said. No, Forminte is not a saint (and none of us are) but I really like him and respect all he did for Romanian gymnastics b/c he was in a very difficult position from the start. He definitely deserves lots of credit!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. BRAVO! is clear that you love Forminte!But clearly you're not Romanian!is clear that you dont care that Romania falls one step every competition!is clear that you do not understand that Romanians want something else.Clearly does not understand that for these girls is very important to end their career with medals, not demoralized by Forminte, who say they are fat, old and that they are unable for more than a bronze.But bravo, literally speaking your article is very good....................

    Excuse me, are you saying that Romanians are cruel people who care about medals more than kids? Because that's sure as heck what it sounds like. I know for a fact that's not true. There are MANY Romanians who didn't like B&B because they hit and starved kids. That's why B&B were fired in the first place.
    The "glory" of your country is never more important than the health and well being of your children. Medals don't mean more than kids. Maybe it's time Romania learns THAT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just discover this website. it is better than international gymnast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. by the way, Romanian's bar and dance have improved a lot under Forminte. i think he cares about the gymnasts health, thats why he tries not to push them too hard. he was just working with what he was given by the federation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don t think Romania improved at UB or dance due to Forminte.Cotutiu worked a lot with the actual generation when they were still juniors and this brought the upgrade in their bar routins.
    In what concerns the dance,it depends on the qualities the gymnast has.
    Now,all of you who like Forminte so much,are you afraid that Bellu and Bitang would take Romania's gymnastics to its place?Meaning the best in the world?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I said something else.Why are you twisting words?I try to say otherwise and I hope that even now you understand me.

    here is my detailed point of view:
    It is important for these gymnasts to not work all these years for nothing.
    Sacrifices made by them (gymnasts) and we (parents) should be crowned with medals.If my child would not want the glory of sport would have stayed home and would play with dolls.She chose gymnastics, sacrifice, hard work thinking of glory and medals!
    When my child comes home twice a year and tells me what Forminte said (you dont have enough talent,you are fat, old and you must be happy with a bronze medal, I wonder if is worth that my child sacrifice so many years of life.
    My daughter phoned me and told me happy: "Now I trust we will not end our career without a gold medal at least.Belu is back,mother !He gives us much hope "
    As mother of the gymnast, I feel closer to my daughter's wishes and hopes.
    Forminte's vanity and his bearish done enough harm my daughter and her colleagues.
    You see it in some way outside!His face and personality are quite different seen from the inside.
    My English is not very good but I hope you understand me!

    PS: My daughter was lucky it was not injuried.Many of her colleagues were not so lucky!But who cares?Forminte is a saint in your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems funny to me how this has all become so black and white. Being pro-Forminte doesn't necessarily mean being anti-B&B or vice versa.

    ReplyDelete