Thursday, May 13, 2010

TO BE FAIR........


I should post what Nicolae Forminte said to Prosport the next day to explain what seemed to be accusations he made about British gymnast Beth Tweddle.  It seems he was commenting on the British Gymnastics federation's anti-doping agencies as much as Tweddle.
(A reader has just sent me good translation of what Forminte said- so don't be surprised if it is different from what you saw earlier.  Thanks again, reader, babelfish is a beeyatch!)

"Forminte has confirmed that his comment concerning athlete Beth Tweddle was misunderstood. 'My comment on the gymnast Beth Tweddle was misunderstood. Every Federation is obliged to subject its athletes to doping tests three times a year. Medallists undergo compulsory drug testing, and in accordance with current legislation, any athlete can be tested any day, at any time of the day or night. Athletes have to announce in advance where they are. I would like to apologise to the gymnast Tweddle for the misunderstanding, to her and to her coach, and to assure them that I think highly of them. I always talk to people [directly] when I have something on my mind,' Forminte said."
Still, the point remains, why did he feel the need to bring this up at all?

Even if his intentions were misconstrued, I do believe that the smartest thing, unless you are genuinely, politically concerned enough to make your worries known about the health, safety or legality of another nation's gymnasts to make it public- which I also believe that Prosport is not the platform for- you should probably say nothing.

I mean seriously, if you are sincerely concerned, talk to the FIG, they have to be there for something, right?

 
 
 
*******

1 comment:

  1. Correct translation of the paragraph you quoted:

    Forminte has confirmed that his comment concerning athlete Beth Tweddle was misunderstood. 'My comment on the gymnast Beth Tweddle was misunderstood. Every Federation is obliged to subject its athletes to doping tests three times a year. Medallists undergo compulsory drug testing, and in accordance with current legislation, any athlete can be tested any day, at any time of the day or night. Athletes have to announce in advance where they are. I would like to apologise to the gymnast Tweddle for the misunderstanding, to her and to her coach, and to assure them that I think highly of them. I always talk to people [directly] when I have something on my mind,' Forminte said.

    ReplyDelete