Tuesday, February 2, 2010

NEW COUCH GYMNAST PROJECT!



Hi guys.  So, over the summer the Couch Gymnast has been working on a little project for y'all.  It's the new online Couch Gymnast Magazine!  Now, before you get too excited, it is not a big glossy mag with huge photos and competition reports.  It is a zero-budget webmagazine, produced by myself and readers of this blog.

I was inspired to do this project by my readers and their comments.  I believe that even though we don't have the means and money that big publications like IG and Inside gymnastics have (not knocking them of course) so many of my readers have a passion for gymnastics, a heck of a lot of collective, truly international knowledge of the sport, a sense of humour about it, and above all, strong and informed opinions about how this sport should be. That, to me, is invaluable and also, my favorite kind of gymnastics writing to read.  So I wanted to make a space where people who don't have time to make their own blogs and webspaces could contribute to this ongoing discussion about our favorite sport.

For the first issue, I contacted some of my more regular contributors to the comments section, but I am seriously hoping more people will come and take part in this collaborative project.  For more details, read the first issue your self!

The blog will stay here, partly because a website brings about a whole lot more copyright issues than the safety of a blog does, but also because I kind of like it here!

But I really hope you enjoy the magazine.  Thanks so muc for the first crew who took part.  It was so great working with you and I hope you do it again.




******



16 comments:

  1. That's great!
    The one thing that I might suggest is to have an RSS feed available that way you could let readers know when you update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOSH. What an amazing amount of work. Thanks.

    Good call using Squarespace. You are the first gymnastics blog on that platform, so far as I know.

    Gave the mag a shout out on Gymnastics Coaching:

    http://gymnasticscoaching.com/new/2010/02/couch-gymnast-the-magazine/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff! I look forward to future instalments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice idea! I would love to help about but I know that the knowledge I have is nothing compared to what you or other commenters know.
    I love that you are talking about so many different things in the magazine and I can't wait to read it all. I especially liked Amy's gym diary , and I'm hoping there are going to be more articles written by gymnasts who aren't training at a high level. I started gymnastics a couple of months ago, at the age of 20. My progress is extremely slow so it is very frustrating. I'm determined not to give up, but so far I have not met anyone else who seems to find it as difficult as I do.
    Anyway, I wanted to say congrats to you and everyone who contributed, and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! The articles in the magazine are so interesting! I am proud to have written one myself :P. This is a great project and you did an extraordinary job with your writing on one hand and gathering all this stuff together on the other hand. Bea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha I recognise the book all these pictures are from! It's the book that first got me interested in gymnastics! Is it called 'Skills and Tactics of Gymnastics'?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you thought about trying to get a sponsor? With the vast number of readers you have, i don't imagine it'll be too difficult..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that must have taken a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. excellent! I really enjoyed the magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! I'm so pumped about this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. COngratulations!
    It's a magnificent magazine. I don't care about glossy stuff, competition reports, and the whole lot . It`s really what a gym fan had been waiting for: clever in-depth articles about beautiful gymnastics.
    Thank you very much.

    Ossiana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you change the background color to white. The green is hard to read

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice work! Its really nice to have something that is a collaborative effort. Love the articles and opinion pieces as well as the funny pictures! Can't wait for the next edition!!

    The only suggestion I would make is that the background is a bit bright- it was ok while reading it but when I clicked onto another screen after reading the mag I could barely see.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Guys, thanks for alll your awesome feedback. I am glad you are enjoying it. I have to say I was a bit nervous! Some responses....

    Hey there, anonymous who knew their comment would be rejected. I hear you. Thanks for the compliments though. I don't really have any experience of what you are talking about, but I am sorry if it is like that. Don't let it stop you enjoying the rest. While I run this show, there will be none of that crap you complain of!!

    Sam- well spotted! But Sssh!

    People who don't like the green- i will lighten it, but I am not losing it. The problem is that the shades vary from mac to pc, and from screen to screen. Hard to adjust so it is okaty everywhere, but i will lighten it. But no way am I losing the green!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The new colour scheme is much more reader friendly- I'm glad you stuck by the green on the sides- Green is also my fave colour!

    ReplyDelete