Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Good News For U.S Gym fans...


It seems NBC likes what it sees, and has signed on to a deal with USAG to cover more gymnastics events on television right through to 2012. Gymnastics will be one of the five major Olympic sports the Universal sports channell will cover for NBC.  Though the terms of the contract have not been made public, according to Reuters, NBC WILL be covering the World Championships this year, as well as other events.


I wonder if the coverage of the US girls, most particularly Shawn Johnson, Nastia Liukin and Alicia Sacramone in the media has helped keep gymnastics in the spotlight a little bit too?  I know people have complained, particularly about the SJ saturation, but this is one way in which it is good for the sport, though it keeps her from training, it keeps gymnastics in the limelight.

Now, I just hope NBC works on its commentary......

1 comment:

  1. Well,I wish in my country (I'm Spanish) gymnastics would get half of the coverage it gets in the US. Most people can't tell artistic from rythmic.

    ReplyDelete