Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Another Yay! for U-C-L-A!

Hi guys, am still very much in the throes of completing Masters thesis which is due at the end of the month, but I thought I'd take a minute to talk about how happy I am that the current Dutch National champion, Lichelle Wong has signed a letter of intent with U.C.L.A!



She has had a heap of international experience (but an unfortunate Pavs-like proclivity for finding herself just out of the medals in comps like the Ghent and Moscow Cups!)

Lichelle represented the Dutrch at two World Championships, including Aarhus, despite suffering a serious knee injury that year, one that made it doubtful she would make it at all. She only competed on bars.

I've always enjoyed watching Wong on floor. Her choreographers seemed to recognised her talent for artistry, and her routines were artsy and quite interesting at times. I would even go as far as to say slightly odd. But yet, I liked them. I am not surprised at all that she was a gymnast that appealed to Val K-Field's aesthetic tastes.

Lichelle probably won't be at Worlds this year because of an elbow injury, according to ViolaRoadkill's blog.

Also, you can follow Lichelle on Twitter, just as you can me. Just search her name. Half is in Dutch, but she also messages in English.

Lichelle is on a full ride scholarship and will study maths and science. She will be a good addition on bars as well as beam and floor. I'm happy she will be joining my favorite college team!
See ya soon!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your post on Lichelle. You had me worried though, that she might have an elbow injury. I believe it is Wyomi Masela with the injury, not Lichelle.

    ReplyDelete